Self funded retirees

Hi, my parents are both self funded retirees. My mum has dementia, and I am in the process of organising an ACAT assessment as I am very concerned for her wellbeing. Can you please advise the assetts means testing process for residential care when they don’t receive a pension
Many Thanks

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for posting your question. Hopefully we can help you.
It looks like you’re after 2 things.

1.) Does doing an ACAT alter for someone who is a self-funded retiree verses someone who is receiving the pension?
2.) What is the process for completing the Combined Assets and Income Assessment?
Let’s start with the first question.

If you are a self-funded retiree I don’t believe the process of getting an ACAT is any different. There are a very small number of nursing homes that don’t require an ACAT to enter as you pay the full fee, but to our knowledge the majority of them do.

To get an ACAT done, you start by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. They will ask if you have authority to do this for your mum. If your mum is in the room with you and is having a lucid moment, you could briefly pop her on the phone and she can tell My Aged Care she is happy for you to act on her behalf.

My Aged Care will then ask you a series of questions over the phone tour ACAT assessment. My Aged Care will then book in a date for the ACAT team to come to where you mum lives to complete the ACAT in person. The actual assessment is done by 2 trained care staff. One is usually a nurse. They will have a chat with your mum and ask some questions. They will also look to see the environment she lives in. She is allowed to have people with her and we encourage you or other family members to be there for extra support as sometimes they can feel overwhelming. Once they complete the ACAT the results are posted to you. You don’t get them on the day of the assessment.

To complete a Combined Assets and Income Assessment, you will need to download the form from the Department of Human Services. You can access it from here:

The form asks for a lot of information and you will need to have detailed information about your mum’s finances.

You can: How do I complete an income and assets test? | agedcare101

When you have completed it, you need to return the form to the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans Affairs. The instructions are on the form.
The Department of Human Services will send you a letter with the results of your assessment, including an itemised list of your income and assets. This will tell you how much, if anything, you need to pay towards the cost of your care and accommodation.

We hope this helps.