Patient and Families right during current Lockdown

While I applaud the proactive announcements about locking down Aged Care Facilities I wonder how many homes are finding ways to allow close family members to spend a few minutes with their loved ones during this time. It is heartbreaking, in so many ways.On a personal level, I managed to secure my 100 year old mother a place in a very nice establishment up here in Northern NSW 3 weeks ago but it has been gut wrenching to firstlay watch her decline mentally and physically (as she had to to leave her big home due to falls and increasing cognitive issues) and after 2 very distressing weeks for her and us, we are now unable to see her ( it has now been one week since lockdown here). We really have little idea of what it is like for her now, I ring but she is barely speaking now, am told her vital signs are still good, but I know she would be lying on her bed and no longer making the effort to get up, get dressed and walk etc. basically she has decided to die, but at what stage would they use their discretion and allow us to visit briefly before she gives out totally. All very sad and I am sure there must be other families out there wondering the same thing about their loved ones.

Hi Mel D,
These are difficult times for everyone, but we have to consider the safety of the staff that work in these facilities. Having said that maybe they should let one close family member in at a time for a short visit and have that family member have their temperature taken and answer a few questions about their health and who they been in contact with , before being allowed in. Visits from family members are all some of these residents have to look forward to. I was meant to visit my own mother who’s in a nursing home in Queensland, I live in Victoria. I made the decision more than a week ago to cancel my trip, as I didn’t want to take the risk of taking the virus to the nursing home as I rely on public transport to get to the airport. I also didn’t want to be at the airport. Looks like I made the right decision as everything has gone into lockdown.

Hi Mel D,
These are difficult times for everyone, but we have to consider the safety of the staff that work in these facilities. Having said that maybe they should let one close family member in at a time for a short visit and have that family member have their temperature taken and answer a few questions about their health and who they been in contact with , before being allowed in. Visits from family members are all some of these residents have to look forward to. I was meant to visit my own mother who’s in a nursing home in Queensland, I live in Victoria. I made the decision more than a week ago