Need care but under age (33)

I suffer quite severely with mental health and also physical health. I am in no danger to others and am safe for myself. And no need for hospital now but living at home makes things worse. is there any way a younger person can access the amazing care of an aged care I also have cognitive inpairment whixh makes it trixky livinvg at home

Hi Groovyblur,
I really feel for you (and dont know you) but having worked in aged care homes for 15 years I question whether that would be the appropriate environment for someone of your age. The trend is that many of the residents of aged care homes are now older and sicker than in the past because many people are managing to stay at home longer with the support of home care packages. We don’t cover NDIS on this website but have you applied to the NDIS because people with mental health conditions may qualify for support according to the governments website. See the link below.

The federal government has recognised that young people living in aged care homes is not ideal and state that the government is committed to minimising the need for younger people aged under 65 to move into residential aged care .They have developed a national action plan to help young disabled people access more age appropriate housing and supported living February 2019 the government announced reforms to the Specialist Disablility Accommodation space (SDA) to improve choice to enable eligible people to have SDA included in their NDIS plans up front so they can commission a home from the market that suits their individual needs. They state that these reforms “will stimulate construction and supply of SDA properties creating more diverse accommodation options for NDIS participants”. You can call the NDIS to discuss your options on 1800 800 110If you feel that you still wish to go down the path of residential aged care I would strongly suggest that first you visit some aged care homes if you havent already done so. You will also need to have an ACAT assessment completed which has to be organised through the government’s My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
Kind regards,