Covid in nursing home

If you have a loved one in a nursing home with covid, DO NOT go into that nursing home for at least 5 to 7 days, unless its an end of life situation. I got a phone call from the nursing home and was told my husband had covid. I asked can i still go in and see him, and i was told i could, you just have to wear a N95 mask. So i went into see him just before lunch. He wanted to go to the toilet, so i helped him, when i pulled the sheet back i could see that everything was soaking wet, pyjamas, as well as the bottom sheet. So i changed him which in hindsight i shouldn’t have done. I got a another sheet and bed pad and eventually somebody came in and changed the sheet. To me it seemed that certain staff members were reluctant to enter his room, and there didn’t seem to be a lot of staff around. The next day was more or less the same. I am now recovering from covid , even though very mild due to all the vaccines i had, but 12 days later I’m still not right. But my husband has recovered, but i can’t go in and see him yet.
From my point of view Nursing homes should encourage people not to visit for at least 5 days or at least until the anti virals have kicked in. If you do feel the need to go in not only wear the mask but also the gloves and face shield that are there, and try not to touch anything.
There weren’t any guidelines, i was just told to wear a N95 mask. There should be warnings in patients rooms about not touching anything.
It wasn’t just my husband that had covid , there were ay least 10 other residents that were isolated in their rooms.
So please be very carefull and don’t touch anything. Eventually residents will be attended to some during the day.
These days most residents will recover within 7 days

Nellie

Hi Nellie,

Nice to see you back on the forum. We’re sorry you have had a crook time with the dreaded Covid. Because the media has mostly moved on past it, it is easy to forget that it is very much around and we must all continue to take the right precautions not to spread it, especially within aged care homes. We are glad to hear your husband has recovered and fingers crossed you are back to feeling 100% soon.
Thanks for sharing your observations and advice – we agree.

Take care,
The agedcare101 Team